Jan-Ole Puls
· 18.03.2026
Shortly before the start of the 2026 season, two leaks were discovered in the hull of the historic steamer. The leaks were located in critical areas of the outer skin and made immediate repairs unavoidable. As other shipyards had no short-term capacity, a temporary pop-up shipyard was set up on the Osterbek Canal in Barmbek-Nord.
Two large cranes carefully lifted the 150-year-old ship out of the water and placed it on land. Craning the historic steamer posed a logistical challenge, as the fragile ship had to be handled with extreme care. In the temporary dry dock, experts welded out the damaged plates and replaced them with new, customised steel plates. According to the organisation, the work is expected to take around ten days, although weather conditions and unforeseen complications may affect the duration.
Local residents in Barmbek watched the unusual spectacle with great interest. Many passers-by stopped to watch the repair work on the historic steamer. The temporary shipyard became a small attraction in the neighbourhood. The association took the opportunity to inform interested parties about the history of the ship and the necessity of the maintenance work.
In 1911, the shipping company had the ship converted into a smooth decker. With this design, the deck runs continuously from the bow to the stern. At the same time, the steamer was given the new name Galatea after the Greek sea nymph. Hochbahn AG took over Alsterschifffahrt in 1919 and renamed the ship St. Georg in 1936, after the Hamburg district of the same name. At the beginning of the Second World War, the shipping company discontinued the liner service. After 63 years as an Alster steamer, operations ended for the time being.
After the war, the ship was sold to Berlin. There it was converted into a motorised ship and christened Deutschland. From then on, the ship sailed on the Havel and Wannsee. It later served as the Planet supply ship. The Alsterdampfschiffahrt association saved the ship from being scrapped in 1989. The association had the steamer restored at the Laubegast shipyard in Dresden and brought back to its 1930s condition.
A two-cylinder steam engine from 1922 powers the ship. The engine produces 75 hp, which corresponds to 55 kilowatts. The oil-fired boiler produces one tonne of steam per hour. In the winter of 2009/2010, a duplex pump was also installed as a feed pump. This steam-driven pump supplies the boiler with water. The crew consists of three people: Captain, conductor and engineer.
Since the summer of 1994, the St. Georg has been operating as an Alster steamer in Hamburg again. From March to the end of October, the ship sails several times a day from Jungfernstieg, jetty 4, across the Inner and Outer Alster. The one-hour round trips also take you through Hamburg's canals. The Hamburg Reiherstieg shipyard built the St. Georg in 1876 for the Alster shipping company H.E. Justus. The steamer was originally named Falke and had a high centre section with lower saloons at the front and rear.
The Alsterdampfschiffahrt association not only looks after the St. Georg, but also restores other historic ships. The association also researches and documents the history of Alster shipping. The organisation is financed by donations. Volunteers support the work of the association in maintaining and operating the steamer. The current repairs show once again how important continuous care and swift action are for the preservation of the historic ship.

Editor Test & Technology